pre

Hope and Redemption: Lessons from Shawshank

Today We want to talk about hope, freedom, and the power of the human spirit.

今天我们想谈谈希望、自由和人类精神的力量。

In our lives, we often find ourselves trapped behind walls of our own making.

在我们的生活中,我们常常发现自己被自己筑起的高墙所困。

Some of these walls are visible – the routines we follow, the responsibilities we bear, the expectations placed upon us.

这些墙有些是可见的——我们遵循的例行公事,我们承担的责任,以及别人对我们的期望。

Others are invisible – our fears, our doubts, our reluctance to change.

其他的则是无形的——我们的恐惧,我们的怀疑,我们对改变的抵触。

Yet within each of us lies the capacity for hope – that precious thing that no one can take away.

然而在我们每个人内心深处都有希望的能力——那种任何人都无法夺走的珍贵事物。

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

希望是美好的,也许是人间至善,而美好的事物永不消逝。

It whispers to us that tomorrow can be better than today, that our circumstances do not define our destiny.

它向我们低语,明天可以比今天更美好,我们的处境并不能决定我们的命运。

When faced with the choice to get busy living or get busy dying, hope inspires us to choose life – not merely existence, but vibrant, purposeful living.

当面临忙于生存还是赶着去死的简单选择时,希望激励我们选择生活——不仅仅是存在,而是充满活力、有目标的生活。

There are moments when hope seems dangerous, when it threatens to drive us insane with longing for what might never be.

有些时候,希望似乎是危险的,它可能会让我们因渴望可能永远无法实现的事物而发疯。

But consider the alternative – a life without hope is merely time passing, a prison of routine and then more routine.

但想想另一种选择——没有希望的生活只是时间的流逝,一个充满例行公事的监牢。

The walls of our personal Shawshank come in many forms.

我们个人的肖申克高墙有很多形式。

First you hate them, then you get used to them. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them.

刚开始你痛恨它们,然后你习惯了生活在其中;最终你会发现自己不得不依靠它而生存。

That's institutionalization – the quiet surrender of self to circumstance.

这就是体制化——对环境的默默屈服。

But we must remind ourselves that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright.

但我们必须提醒自己,有些鸟是不能关在笼子里的,它们的羽毛太漂亮了。

And like Andy Dufresne, we too can chip away at the walls confining us – one day at a time, one effort at a time.

就像安迪·杜弗雷斯一样,我们也可以一点一点地凿开束缚我们的墙壁——一天接一天,一次努力接一次努力。

It may take years. It may seem impossible. But pressure and time can accomplish remarkable things.

这可能需要数年时间。这可能看起来不可能。但压力和时间可以成就非凡的事情。

There is something inside each of us that is truly ours, that no one can touch or take away.

我们每个人内心深处都有真正属于我们自己的东西,没有人能够触及或夺走。

For some, it's music. For others, it's art, or knowledge, or love.

对有些人来说,是音乐。对其他人来说,是艺术,或知识,或爱。

These are the things that make our walls dissolve, if only for the briefest moments.

这些事物能让我们的高墙消失,哪怕只是最短暂的时刻。

And in those moments, we feel what freedom truly is.

而在那些时刻,我们感受到了真正的自由。

A strong person can save themselves through hope and perseverance.

强者可以通过希望和毅力拯救自己。

But a truly great person lights the way for others, showing them that the walls can be overcome.

但一个真正伟大的人为他人照亮道路,向他们展示高墙是可以被克服的。

We all face our own version of Shawshank in life – situations that confine us, limit our potential, and dim our spirits.

我们在生活中都面临着自己版本的肖申克——那些束缚我们、限制我们潜力和削弱我们精神的处境。

But like Andy, we can maintain our dignity, nurture our hope, and work patiently toward freedom.

但就像安迪一样,我们可以保持尊严,培养希望,并耐心地为自由而努力。

Sometimes the path to freedom leads through sewage – through difficulty, pain, and the ugliest parts of life.

有时通往自由的道路要穿过污水管道——穿过生活中的困难、痛苦和最丑陋的部分。

But on the other side lies the cleansing rain of redemption, the fresh air of possibility.

但在另一边等待着救赎的洗礼之雨,可能性的新鲜空气。

I don't know what lies ahead for each of you.

我不知道你们每个人前方有什么。

I don't know what walls you're facing or what tunnels you're digging.

我不知道你们面对着什么样的高墙或正在挖掘什么样的隧道。

But I find myself excited for you – excited at the possibility of your freedom, your redemption, your hope realized.

但我为你们感到兴奋——为你们获得自由、救赎和希望实现的可能性而兴奋。

I hope you make it across whatever border separates you from your dreams.

我希望你们能够跨越那条将你们与梦想分隔开的边界。

I hope you find those kindred spirits who understand your journey and support your path.

我希望你们能找到那些理解你们旅程并支持你们道路的志同道合的人。

I hope the destination is as blue and beautiful as it has been in your dreams.

我希望目的地如同你们梦中一样蓝和美丽。

Remember that regret looks backward, but hope looks forward.

记住,悔恨是回顾过去,而希望是展望未来。

You cannot change who you were or what you did yesterday.

你无法改变你过去是谁或你昨天做了什么。

But you can decide who you will be and what you will do today, tomorrow, and all the days that follow.

但你可以决定你将成为谁,以及你今天、明天和往后所有日子将做什么。

So get busy living.

所以,忙于生活吧。

Keep your hope alive.

保持你的希望。

And remember that sometimes, the most beautiful redemption stories are still being written – yours included.

记住,有时候,最美丽的救赎故事仍在书写中——包括你的故事。

Thank you.

谢谢。